RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. Serene Memorial Gardens (hereinafter referred to as SMG or Cemetery) provides for continuing care of the grounds as a courtesy to our property owners. In general, this continuing care includes but is not limited to: general operation, improvements, road maintenance, mowing, pruning, landscaping, removal of plant material and trash, pest control, leveling of monuments, and other maintenance as may be necessary to keep the Cemetery presentable at all times.
2. SMG is open from sunrise to 10:00 pm, 365-days a year. Any person entering the Cemetery at any other time without authorization from Cemetery personnel will be considered a trespasser. No person shall be permitted to use profane or boisterous language or in any way disturb the quiet and good order of the Cemetery. SMG grounds are sacredly devoted to the interment of human remains and the provisions and penalties of law will be strictly enforced in all cases of intentional injury, disturbance and disregard of these rules and regulations. The possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, or firearms, within the Cemetery is strictly forbidden.
3. The SMG office is open from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday; and on weekends and holidays by appointment only. To avoid unnecessary waiting, we suggest that you please telephone for an appointment (228-475-7705) before coming to the cemetery office; whether making funeral arrangements, pre-need arrangements, or selecting a memorial.
4. Interment Rights within SMG shall be used for no purpose other than the interment and/or memorialization of human remains. SMG does not sell fee simple title to interment spaces. SMG sells a right of use called “interment rights” that permit the interment of one person in the interment space purchased. An owner does not, by virtue of such ownership, acquire any ownership interest in the Cemetery or in any surrounding land, building or any improvements.
5. Transfer or assignment of any property within SMG is not valid without the consent in writing of SMG, for which a fee of $75.00 is required to issue a new deed of ownership. All purchase agreements, transfers, and deeds of interment rights must be on forms approved and signed by an authorized representative of SMG.
6. Parking is allowed only on paved roadways. Pets must be on a leash, and you must pick up after them.
7. An order in writing is required of the lot owner whenever a grave is to be opened. SMG must be provided with advance notice of all interments. A fee for the opening and closing of the grave must be paid 24-hours before time of burial. Only SMG personnel may open and close gravesites. SMG may postpone or reschedule any interment service at our discretion, due to inclement weather conditions, or because of other conditions beyond our control.
8. An outer burial container (vault) is required for all interments. Burials will be made only in vaults constructed of cement, metal, or fiberglass, and must be approved by SMG. All outer burial containers must be installed by SMG personnel. Vaults not purchased through SMG will be subject to a $125.00 installation fee; which may be payable through the directing funeral home.
9. Only bronze on granite flat markers are allowed in SMG. Memorials not purchased from SMG are subject to a $125.00 installation fee, and outside dealers are responsible for any damages, death dates, and maintenance. Corner markers must be bronze or granite and are not to exceed 6” X 6”.
10. If any inscription or object placed on any gravesite is determined by SMG to be offensive, improper, or injurious to the appearance of surrounding lots or grounds, SMG will remove the said offensive object.
11. Hedges, fences, edging or enclosures of any kind will not be permitted. Mulching with wood chips, rock, landscape fabric or similar items is strictly prohibited. Wooden boxes, lawn ornaments, wind chimes, bird feeders, signs, sculptures, glass or ceramic containers, cans, toys, or any other that can break causing safety concerns or that could impede the Cemetery’s ability to care for the grounds will not be permitted and these items will be removed by SMG personnel without notice.
12. The installation of benches, chairs and other like items is prohibited, unless approved by SMG, and if approved are allowed only on spaces deeded to the property owner. Benches not approved by SMG will be removed.
13. Good Shepherd Mausoleum decorations are limited to those placed in permanent vases and holders attached to each crypt or niche. Decorations placed on the ground, in free-standing easels and stands, or attached directly by wire, tape, glue or other similar method is strictly prohibited. Any lettering or crypt plaques used must be of bronze material, and all fittings, adornments, inscriptions and name plates are subject to approval by the SMG.
14. Private mausoleums may be installed in limited areas of the cemetery, and must be pre-approved by SMG.
15. Floral tributes and decorations are encouraged, in the manner permitted by these regulations. SMG treasures your living tributes and the benefits they bring to the appearance of the Cemetery in general. SMG is not responsible for any missing floral tributes or decorations or for any damages. Some floral tributes and decorations may at times need to be moved or picked up to permit interments or for care of the grounds.
16. Except as permitted for Memorial Day and Veterans’ Day, flags and flag poles are not permitted at individual interment spaces. Fresh, silk and plastic flowers are permitted in the bronze vases included on Memorials. Fresh flowers will be picked up by SMG personnel when they become dried and unsightly. Christmas wreaths are allowed, but must be removed by January 15th.
17. Flowers, decorative plants, shrubs and trees may not be planted in SMG, without first securing the Cemetery’s permission. Permission will generally not be granted and will only be allowed if the proposed planting will not interfere with the care and maintenance of the grounds and when it is in harmony with the surrounding landscape.
18. If any existing tree, shrub, or plant becomes detrimental or unsightly, SMG shall have the right to remove them. SMG shall have no obligation to replace said trees, shrubs and plants removed by the Cemetery.
19. Temporary markers placed at the time of interment are not considered permanent, and will be removed by SMG after a reasonable length of time or when they no longer present a neat appearance.
20. Disinterments are not allowed except by mutual consent of SMG, the immediate next of kin, and the property owners involved. Disinterments are to be made only by SMG personnel and supervised by a Funeral Director licensed in the State of Mississippi.
21. SMG does not assume and is not liable for damage, actual or mental, resulting from normal operations, loss by vandalism, damage caused by the elements, acts of God, and other acts beyond the our control, be it direct or indirect. SMG is not liable for theft or damage to any personal property, including markers or vases, or personal effects placed on or near interment spaces or elsewhere in the Cemetery.
22. SMG reserves and shall have the right to correct any errors that may be made by it in making an interment, disinterment, sale, transfer or conveyance of interment rights, including the right to substitute and convey in lieu thereof other interment rights of comparable value and similar location (to the extent possible) selected by the Cemetery. Alternatively, the Cemetery, in its sole discretion, may refund the greater of the amount of money paid on account of the purchase of the interment rights or the current sale price of the interment rights, merchandise or services to which the error relates. If the error involves the interment of the Human Remains in an incorrect location, the Cemetery reserves and shall have the right to remove and transfer such remains to the correct location or to a similar location of comparable value selected by the Cemetery. The Cemetery shall have no liability as a result of any errors of the type described in this paragraph other than its obligation to take the remedial actions described in this section.
23. Property owners agree to comply with said rules and regulations at all times. SMG reserves the right at any time, and without notice, to adopt new rules and regulations or to amend or repeal any existing rule or regulation. Circumstances may arise in which the literal enforcement of these rules and regulations may impose an unnecessary hardship. SMG reserves the right to make exceptions, suspensions, or modifications of any rule or regulation without notice when, in its judgment, a waiver is advisable. Any such waiver shall not be construed as affecting the general application of these rules and regulations.
24. Whenever SMG determines that a violation of these rules and regulations has occurred, SMG shall immediately record and document the violation(s), and remedy the violation(s) without recourse.